Tuesday, March 01, 2005

CM 8

Situation A, Bubba hasn’t been doing his work, and asked the teacher for an extension on a project. He does this because he knows that the teacher has granted other students extensions on their projects. As the teacher I would have Bubba come in after class so that we could discuss the problem. I would tell him that the other student had valid reasons for needing the extension and that they had working on the project all along. Where in his case he had not been working on his project, it was his own fault for not having it done. I would discuss with him any situations that might have been going on that had kept him from working on the project. But also explain to him that I can not let him slide on the project because that would not be fair to the other students who had been working hard on their projects and completed them. I would then try to figure out a solution that would benefit both of us.

Situation B, Martha and Marie are supposed to put the equipment away before leaving, but they have not, and are getting ready to leave. In this situation I would keep all the students until the equipment had been put away. This way it would reinforce to all the students that they are to do their jobs.

Situation C, Victor is not working and is talking while he is to be working on his assignment. Then he begins to make an airplane knowing that you have noticed his activities. In this situation I would address him to get to work, and tell him that if he does not work on the assignment when time is given in class that I will no longer give time for students to work in class on the assignments, this will hopefully make him realize that it is better to use the time given to him in class than to take time out of class to complete the assignment.

Situations D, Students in the hall are insulating each other playfully, but others are gathering around them hoping to see a fight. In this situation I would address the students that those types of language and put downs are not allowed. As well as explain that this type of behavior often leads student to fight, especially when a crowd gathers to cheer them on. So it is better not to talk in this manor.

Situation E, Donalda is eating twinkies in the class when it is against school rules, and she knows that you have seen her but continues to eat them. In this situation I would state, “Eating in class is against the rules, and therefore there are punishments.” I would then take them away from her, to be returned later.

Situation F, Jack and Jill are disrupting class by giggling and passing notes. I would direct my attention to them, and state that I am the one, who has the floor, by talking and giggling they are missing valuable information that may be on the test, so it would benefit them and there classmate is they would reframe from talking and passing notes.

Situation G, You were gone from class and the substitute teacher left a note saying that the class was not attentive, would not work, many left the room for a bathroom break and never came back. In this situation I would explain that I expect them to respect and work for the substitute, just like in my class, so when I return they will be punished according to the rules, just as if I had been in the classroom. I would also inform them that behavior like that results in a mad teacher and punishment.

No comments: