Tuesday, February 08, 2005

CM7.1

Some of the items in the case study that I would adopt in my classroom are as follows. I would have a Washington or Lincoln award, where the person with the -top grade from all the classes at the end of the year will have their name posted for all to see permanently. So if they are freshman they can see their name posted till they graduate and after and give them something to be proud of. I would award bonus points to a group who receives the most points on review games. Next, have a competition to see what class can get the highest grade average on a test. (This is assuming that I have more than one class on a subject.) They will be rewarded with bonus points, snacks, movie, video, or something else, but all have to be relevant to the class. Next I would allow students to correct missed questions on assignments, and they can be resubmitted and graded to help their grade, but only if the assignment had been completed and turned in on time in the first place. I would have a list of books pertaining to topics discussed in class that students could read for extra credit, after demonstrating to me through a test or review that the book had been read. I might allow twenty minutes on Fridays for students to use as they wish with reasonable guidelines, like a historical game, if they had been on task, worked quietly, and participated throughout the week. I would also have students keep track of grades on a record sheet in their notebooks so they can decided if doing an extra credit activities would help them. Lastly, I would have a weekly extra credit question on a bulletin board. For every two you get correct you receive one extra credit point. I would however not use all these at the same time.

No comments: