Friday, September 16, 2005

September 12-16

Well, I made it through my first week of having total control of the two American History classes. I believe they went well. The first couple of nights I was just completely exhausted when I made it home. I think I was working my self up to much, making this experience a lot harder than it is. I think this is partly because the first day, I started talking about the Declaration of Independence and the events leading up to it. My first day I showed a 5 slide PowerPoint that they were to take notes off. Then I had worksheets for them to complete. The first class zipped through the notes and got to the worksheet and had it done so fast that I still had 15, yes 15 minutes left. The next hour however barely made it to the worksheet. In this hour if it went as fast as the first I was going to have them read the section, then let them get the worksheet to complete, but that was not necessary. The next day was picture day, oh, my was I nervous about this. It was to be sometime during my two hours. I really did not know how to plan for this day. I found a twenty-six minute video over the Declaration, so I started out with showing them it, by doing this if we were interrupted it would be easy to pick up where we had left of. Then I had them read the Declaration, out of their textbooks and fill in a worksheet, translating some of the items in the document, by doing this if we were interrupted, they could finish the assignment at home, and in fact, that is what happened. One of the strangest things this week was leaving lesson plans for my cooperative teacher. Then coming back and picking back up there she left off. This weekend I have a mound of papers to grade, and for once in my life, probably the only time I will look forward to it. Therefore, I am going to enjoy it while it is fun.
This week I really did not have too much trouble with discipline. I have a couple of students who wanted to sleep instead of take notes so had to wake them up. The only other thing is the fact they want to continual talk. They also are way to curious about me, I do not know how many questions they have ask me. I kept from answering what my first name was, but I had to use my laptop for a PowerPoint one day, so they now know what my first name is. Over all I am starting to in a very small way to feel like a teacher.
Next week I am picking up my second class, on Monday, and on Tuesday, I have my first evaluation, in that same class, but I am not too worried about it now. This week I have also acquired a nickname from one of the students, it is Miss. Firewood. I do not know what to think about this. My cooperative teacher as one, but I do not know if I should allow the student to keep calling me that or tell him to stop.

No comments: