Friday, September 02, 2005

August 31- September 2, 2005

This week has gone by fast. For the most part it has been good. Tuesday my cooperating teacher was absent for a meeting. So she left me with the instructions for the day, as well as the sub direction. She had me conduct the classes with the help of the sub. Being that I knew what was going on I was able for the most part to be able to conduct class like it should have gone. The largest problem I had was getting the students to take me seriously, when I ask them to quiet down. They for the most part treated me like I was a substitute. I really enjoyed not having my cooperating teacher their. I actually felt like I was the one in charge, not having her look over my shoulder. However when she is there I feel like I have a backup when I need it. The day she was gone I felt was a success, even thought I was not always sure what I needed to be doing. In one class of ninth grade geography they were to do a worksheet, after completing a quiz and vocabulary words. I had no idea what the worksheet was about. So when they were working on it and asking me questions about it, I had a hard time answering there questions, and the worksheet question. I also found that the substitute in this class, did not offer to help at all. So I believe that she had no idea how to answer their questions as well. This week also brought some surprises. Wednesday, during first hour my cooperating teacher, who is also the cheerleading coach, had received the new mascot uniform. So she was all excited, she proceeded in putting on the head and the shoes and walking around the room, the students thought this was hilarious. But she went farther, and recruited one off the students to put the whole outfit on, and they paraded down the hallway. Therefore I was left in the class who wanted to follow them out the door. Surprisingly, they quieted down and went back to work.
The next hour however, she went to office between classes and did not come back, so I was left wondering where she was and had to conduct class. Toward the end she returned to the classroom, eyes red, and she told me that she was really mad not exactly in those words, however. She told the class they her allergies had been acting up. I was stuck wondering what happen. When that class left, she asks if I would take care of the next class period, and left the room again. Lunch came and went, and I did not see her. She arrived just before the class after lunch, after I had already gotten the class started on their projects. She told me thanks, and took back over, nothing was said. The next hour was our planning period, in which Dr. McDougle came to visit. The rest of the day went like usual. I was curious about what had happened, but I did not want to pry, I figured if she wanted me to know she would tell me. Today, during the last hour she went to get a drink and so I got the class started. When she got back she told me that she has gotten into a heated discussion about the teacher negotiations with one of the other teachers, and that is what had upset her.
Moving on, to today. I got to school and she was here but I could not get into the room, and could not find her. It was getting close to the time class was to start and so I had the secretary let me into the class. Just before the bell rang, she came in and asks me to cover the first couple of classes for her, and told me what progress they had made. She told me that she was working on painting footballs for the game and had not finished them, so she was going to work on them. So I monitored the first three classes today on my own. I guess I can be great full that they were doing group work, and it was things that they had started earlier this week. So, it was actually not bad, and they worked real well.
Next week I am taking over my first class. I am more nervous about writing the lessons at this point, and knowing the information. I feel now that I am getting a little overwhelmed. The week after next I will be taking over the ninth grade geography then the next week I will take over the 7th grade geography in the beginning I was to take over classes in the order of the day, but due to how the visits will be conducted that was changed. It is strange the other day it donned on me that I am the adult in charged and I am the one giving the directions. I have always been the little sister, taking orders not the one giving orders. For some reason this has donned on me in the last few days. I am also learning that I must step up and stopped behavior long before it starts. I cannot let a little talking go on, and not expect it to get worse, because it will. I have to stop it before it starts. I am also learning that, I must speak in a more direct manner, and lower my voice, for it blends in with the students. By doing this, they are more attentive. Overall, I am happy with my experiences at a student teacher and I am still looking forward to beginning my own lessons, however I am a little scared that they will not be that good, compared to my cooperating teachers lessons, but I will try my best. I am also a little scared that I will not be able to keep up with making lessons for each class as I add them to my schedule. However, I am ready to meet these challenges head on.

No comments: